These are key articles and publications on carbon ranching. It is a representative selection of current writing and research, rather than a comprehensive list. It will be updated as often as possible!
- "Cap-and-Spade: Will
California's Carbon Market Dollars Go to Organic
Twilight Greenaway, Grist, Oct 4, 2012
- "Trees Absorb Less Carbon
in Warming World Than Experts Assumed"
Robert Krier, Inside Climate News, May 21, 2012
- "California's Deadlocked
Delta: Is Carbon Farming the Future?"
Lauren Sommer, QUEST, May 2012
- "Carbon Sequestration for
Dan O'Brien's blog, March 2012
- "Grassland Soils Offer
Some Insurance Against Climate Change"
Science Daily / January 2012
- "Cattle Ranches and
Carbon." (The Marin Carbon Project)
Jennifer Skene / KQED / August 2011
- "Can 'Climate-Smart'
Agriculture Help Both Africa and the Planet?"
Fred Pearce / Yale 360, 2011
- "Crops with Deeper Roots
Capture More Carbon, Fight Drought: Study"
David Fogarty / Reuters, 2011
- "Cattle Can Help Restore
Degraded Soil: Evidence Shows Grazing Replenishes
Soil Science Society of America / New Release, 2011
- "Greener Pastures: The
Stomachs and Hooves of Cows May Be the Key to Turning Deserts into
Grasslands, and Even Taming Climate Change."
Judith Schwartz / Conservation Magazine, 2011
- "The Brown Revolution:
Increasing Agricultural Productivity
Lisa Hamilton / The Atlantic, 2011
- "Could Dirt Help Heal the
Kristen Olsen / Discover Magazine, 2011
- "Grazing of Cattle
Pastures Can Improve Soil Quality."
ScienceDaily, March 3rd, 2011.
- "Carbon Cowboys: By
Storing Carbon in the Soil, Ranch Owners can Reduce Greenhouse Gas
Jessica A. Knoblauch / Emagazine, 2010
- "A Revolutionary Idea
about Cattle Ranching"
Judith D. Schwartz / Time Magazine, 2010
- "Could Grasslands Help
Fight Global Warming? Scientists Dig Deep for Carbon
ScienceDaily (June 21, 2010)
- "The Only Way to Have a
Bill McKibben / Orion, 2010
- "Evolution by the
Olivia Judson / New York Times op-ed, 2010
- "A Win-Win Policy:
Conserving Lands and Mitigating Climate Change in a Public-Private
Steven Apfelbaum / HuffingtonPost Green, 2010
- "It's Time the Sky
Steven H. Rich / Range Magazine, 2010
- "How Cows (Grass-Fed
Only) Could Help Save the Planet"
Lisa Abend / Time Magazine, 2010
- "Could Cows Heal the
Moises Velasquez-Manoff / Christian Science Monitor, 2009
- "Scientists Help Ranchers
Wrangle Carbon Emissions"
Christopher Joyce / NPR News, 2009
- "The Amazing Benefits of
Richard Manning / Mother Earth News, 2009
General Books, Reports, and Publications
- "Mitigating Climate Change Through Food and Land Use." By Sara J. Scherr and Sajal Sthapit. WorldWatch Report no. 179. WorldWatch Institute, Washington, D.C. 2009. http://www.worldwatch.org/node/6126
- The Carbon Farming Handbook: an
Introduction to Soil Carbon, Land Management and Climate
Change (3rd edition) Published by
the Carbon Farmers of Australia.
To purchase: http://carbonfarminghandbook.blogspot.com/
- "Raising the Steaks: global warming and pasture-raised beef production in the United States." A Report by the Union of Concerned Scientists, 2011.
- 'Carbon Sequestration' / Rattan Lal, Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society, 2008 http://rstb.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/363/1492/815.full.pdf
- 'Grassland Management and Conversion Into Grassland: Effects on Soil Carbon'/ Richard Conant, Keith Paustian, Edward Elliott, Ecological Adaptations, 2001. http://eprints.qut.edu.au/37788/1/cona2282.pd
- 'Soil Science: Fungal Friends Against Drought' / Nature Climate Change, January 2012 http://www.nature.com/nclimate/journal/v2/n4/full/nclimate1392.html
- 'Surface Soil Changes during Twelve Years of Pasture Management in the Southern Piedmont USA' / Alan J. Franzluebbers and John A. Stuedemann. Soil Science Society Journal, vol. 76, no. 6, 2010 / https://www.soils.org/publications/sssaj/articles/74/6/2131
- 'Land Use Alters the Resistance and Resilience of Soil Food Webs to Drought' / Nature Climate Change, January 2012 http://www.nature.com/nclimate/journal/v2/n4/full/nclimate1368.html
- "Grassland Carbon Sequestration: Management, Policy and Economics. Proceedings of the workshop on the role of grassland carbon sequestration in the mitigation of climate change." Edited by Michael Abberton, Richard Conant and Caterina Batello. FAO, Rome, 2010.
'Rethinking Ecosystem Resilience in the Face of Climate Change' / Plos Biology, 2010 http://www.plosbiology.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pbio.1000438
- 'The Potential for Carbon
Sequestration in the United States' / Congressional Budget Office,
- Peter Smith. "Soaking Up the Carbon," in What is Land For?: the Food, Fuel, and Climate Change Debate, edited by Michael Winter and Matt Lobley. Earthscan Publishing, London, 2009. http://www.earthscan.co.uk/?tabid=74738
- 'The Role of livestock in
sustainable food systems' / The Soil Association (UK)